The Anti-Aging Plan For Your Teeth
When it comes to dental care, you know the basics: brush your teeth at least twice daily, floss every day, and use mouthwash. What you may not know is that the foods you choose to consume can have a substantial impact on your oral hygiene as well. Just as sticky, sugary foods are the antithesis of healthy weight management and youthful skin, they can also contribute to tooth decay. Fortunately, there are foods you can add to your diet that can improve your dental health.
Dental experts say that while certain foods can destroy the teeth, there are actually foods that you can eat to optimize your dental care routine and minimize the effects of acid and bacteria in your mouth. According to clinical studies, these seven foods will help to keep your teeth healthy:
- Celery. Celery not only has very few calories, it’s also known to lower blood pressure. But for dental care, what’s great about celery is that as you chew it, it breaks down into fibers that clean your teeth. Chewing on raw vegetables, in general, also helps clean your teeth because of the high amount of saliva that’s produced.
- Cheese. The Dairy Farmers of America aren’t the only ones promoting the benefits of this tasty dairy product. Dentists also recommend it for strengthening the tooth’s surface. Cheese is low in sugar and acid, and rich in casein, which makes it a better choice than milk for dental health.
- Pears. Like vegetables, fibrous fruits are good for the teeth. A study done in South Africa found that pears offer the most protection against tooth decay by limiting drops in pH. Bananas ranked right behind pears by stimulating those same drops in pH.
- Yogurt. A 6 oz. serving of sugar-free, plain yogurt every day is also a cavity fighter. Research suggests that the healthy bacteria in plain yogurt can eliminate the harmful bacteria that are in between your teeth and on your gums.
- Sugar-Free Gum. Although artificial sweeteners are controversial among health experts, xylitol is considered an exception. Xylitol fights plaque by inhibiting the metabolism of sugar by bacteria that erode the tooth’s enamel. And, by increasing your production of saliva, gum also reduces bacteria and plaque.
- Sesame Oil. Swishing with sesame oil for 20 minutes in the same way as with mouthwash can eliminate harmful bacteria from your mouth—and some even claim that their teeth are whiter as a result. Dental experts say that sesame oil acts much like chlorhexidine mouthwash, which has been shown to reduce gingivitis, plaque, and bacteria.
- Water. Your body is 60% water, so it’s no surprise that water is also good for your teeth. Most public water sources in the U.S.—67%, according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research—have ideal levels of fluoride to inhibit tooth decay. Fluoride has long been shown to be good for teeth, “remineralizing” the enamel layer and reversing acid damage that causes tooth decay.
Choosing a diet filled with nutritious foods is important in protecting your smile, but don’t forget to visit your dentist in Blue Bell, who will provide the compassionate and affordable dental care you need.
To learn more about family dentistry from an affordable dentist in Blue Bell, call Gentle Dental of Blue Bell today at (267) 439-4912 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Blue Bell. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Blue Bell, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Blue Bell.