General Dentistry Tip – Why You Should Never Skip Your Dental Exam
One of the most important diagnostic tools in general dentistry is the routine dental exam. Great oral hygiene at home is important, but if you don’t have regular dental checkups, problems with your teeth and gums may progress until invasive treatments are necessary. If your dentist detects and treats a problem early, resolving the condition is usually easier and less expensive. Most dentists recommend having an exam twice a year. If you have chronic dental problems or diseases that affect your oral health, you may need to see your dentist more often.
What You can Expect from Your General Dentistry Checkup
Every dentist may not conduct exams in exactly the same manner as others, but you can expect the best dentists to cover most of the following:
- Extensive periodontal probing to determine if pockets have formed between your teeth and gums
- Dental X-rays to reveal any hidden problems with your teeth or jaw
- Demonstration of proper hygiene techniques to improve hygiene or correct problem areas
- Thorough examination of tooth surfaces, gums, and soft tissues inside your mouth
- Tooth cleaning and polishing using a hand scaler or ultrasonic dental device
- Discussion of any existing problems and formulation of a treatment plan
- Referral to a specialist if necessary
How to Help the Best Dentists Supply You with the Best Care
There is a close link between your oral health and your general health, so it’s important to be open and communicate important information about your oral and general health and any concerns you may have. Be sure to do the following:
- If you suffer from dental anxiety, talk to your dentist about it. New anesthesia options and treatment techniques can help you cope with your fear of pain or dental instruments.
- Alert your dentist to any medical problems that have been diagnosed since your last visit.
- Discuss any new problems or symptoms related to your teeth or gums.
- Bring a current list of prescription medications, over-the-counter medicines, dental treatment products, and vitamin or herbal supplements you are taking
How You can Find Dentists in Your Area
To find dentists who can help keep your teeth and gums healthy for life, check listings under family or general dentistry. The best dentists in your area are at your disposal to help you perfect your smile, so call for an appointment today.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Blue Bell, call Gentle Dental of Blue Bell today at (267) 439-4912 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Blue Bell. With 11 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Blue Bell, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Blue Bell.