When Do You Need a Dental Crown?
When an injury or disease becomes too much for your natural tooth to withstand, a dental crown can save your smile. Dental crowns, or caps, fit over your natural teeth to provide protection, stability, and a durable chewing surface. Besides restoring your tooth’s function, a crown can also provide a more natural appearance and give you back your confidence. Your dentist can recommend the best types of dental crowns for your personal needs and budget. Crowns are a valuable solution for a variety of common problems. Here are some reasons you might need a dental crown.
- You have missing teeth. Placing a crown is the final step in a tooth implant procedure. Crowns can also be used in the construction of dental bridges.
- Your tooth has broken cusps. Trauma and large fillings may cause cusps to break. To prevent further damage to the tooth, a crown should be placed.
- Your tooth has a large filling. If your tooth has a fracture or filled cavity that covers half its width or more, it is vulnerable to fracture and should be crowned. Some older fillings are also replaced with dental crowns when they show signs of stress or damage.
- You’ve had a root canal. A root canal treatment leaves your tooth hollow and predisposes it to fractures. The final step in every root canal procedure is placement of a permanent crown.
- You have cracked tooth syndrome. Internal fractures can cause tooth pain when chewing. A dental crown holds the tooth together and prevents pain by redistributing mechanical stress throughout the tooth. In many cases, a crown can effectively relieve symptoms and restore normal function.
- You don’t like the appearance of your teeth. Crowns can give discolored, misshapen, or small teeth a more aesthetically pleasing and symmetrical appearance.
A crown can last between 10 and 20 years with proper care. Ask your dentist in Blue Bell which options are best for you, and enjoy renewed function and a beautiful smile with quality dental crowns.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Blue Bell, call Gentle Dental of Blue Bell today at (267) 439-4912 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Blue Bell. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Blue Bell, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Blue Bell.